Misleading waffle from the author

Debunking Debunking TMR’s “Comments on the CPC”

In his post, TMR surprisingly claims he “rather likes” the CPC! I suspect that TMR totally hates the Amstrad CPC range of computers, because they’re quite different from and superior to his beloved C64. I think this comment is designed to put CPC supporters off guard, to try and brainwash them into the cult of the C64.

And this uneducated, almost childlike “opinion” is because the author is incredibly petty and doesn’t understand that other people don’t share his black and white view of the situation; they are indeed different but your correspondent has written a few assembly language programs for the Amstrad CPC in the past so is far more aware than the author of those differences. He also owns two, a CPC464 and a CPC6128.

I should point out that for a start the Amstrad CPC range of computers has individual pixel clarity, meaning that there’s no colour bleed or attributes which you get in both hires and lores modes on the C64, as well as on the Sinclair Spectrum.

And the author should also have pointed out that it also uses a whopping 16K video RAM for that display, twice the requirement of the Spectrum and eight times what the C64 works with in its more memory efficient modes. Not mentioning this information is misleading.

TMR also claimed that the Amstrad CPC6128 never became popular in the USA, because it was released in 1985, the same year as the Amiga and the Atari ST. For me, as well as other computer buyers in 1985, the CPC664 and the CPC6128 were excellent and AFFORDABLE computers which had a fantastic version of BASIC and gave users a copy of the semi professional, business like CP/M operating system

Of course that’s completely and utterly irrelevant when discussing the market in America dear reader, as is all the other pointless ranting that followed; the author appears to be deliberately trying to mislead his readers with this bogus “argument”.

We heard that in the USA, people had “larger disposable incomes”, but there wasn’t all that much evidence about this and there were some very poor people in the USA.

There’s some very tangible evidence to back those claims up dear reader; even if the more general affluence is ignored, just consider the uptake of expensive machines like the Apple II, IBM PC or Atari 800 at various points in said market’s history or the far more common use of disk drives and monitors generally for examples.

Of course, 1985 was also the year that the Atari ST, as well as the Amiga computer both appeared, but both computers were much more expensive than the Amstrad CPC664, which cost £450 with a colour monitor, or the Amstrad CPC6128, which cost £399 with a colour monitor, so this meant that the Amstrad CPC computers were selling to a different market of people from the ones who could afford an Amiga or an Atari ST.

Very few people could afford a 16-bit system in 1985 but that really isn’t the point, they were already looking at those machines as the future and, considering how prices had significantly dropped for 8-bit systems over time, buyers became wary of new, untested 8-bit systems because they expected the Atari ST, Amiga or perhaps even the Macintosh to become affordable in the near future. Look at how many American-made 8-bit systems launched in America around the time of the CPC6128 and see how they fared.

I knew that after I bought an Amstrad CPC664, I would become part of a large group of Amstrad CPC users, based on the sales of the earlier CPC464, which I read had already captured 16% of the market in Britain

Remember dear reader that 267% of statistics on the internet are made up so the author needs to quote his source for that figure of 16% to give his readers the chance to both decide on its accuracy and see what said source claims the other 84% of the market comprised of. If the C64 holds a higher percentage according to said source the author has basically just said that it was important to him to pick a machine with a smaller installed user base than the one he’d just sold.

After it was discontinued, I was still able to buy peripherals, magazines, books, and software compatible with my computer.

Let us pause remember that said discontinuation was a paltry six months after release.

TMR also dared to criticise a video I posted a link to of an Amstrad CPC displaying web pages as text only. This was done in a program only a few lines long. His excuse for this is that the program used OUT commands, which he claims are similar to PEEK and POKE on the C64.

Your correspondent was assuming that the author was once more being hypocritical by overlooking the heavy use of OUT in the video, but we now have to assume that he didn’t actually understand what the OUT command actually does. It’s quite hard to know dear reader which should be more embarrassing for the author.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Debunking and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.